Tuesday, October 13, 2009

We are here!!

We are finally here. After almost thirty hours of plane flying and car riding, we arrived in Kampala around midnight here (that is about 5 o clock eastern time in the US). There is a seven hour time difference here, but after going overnight on our plane to Brussels, I have lost all sense of time. Our group is staying at a great hotel called the Speke Hotel, I highly recommend it to anyone who comes to visit Kampala. We met Dr. Frank Woitera, Collin and Pichu last night before bed. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. As I went up to introduce myself to Frank, I was a little intimidated, but when he shook my hand he swept me up into a huge welcoming hug that made my breath catch in my throat. Never had a been so warmly welcomed into such a foreign country. Those welcomings did not end there. All of today (July 28) wherever we went, we were welcomed with smiles. Our first journey through Kampala lead us to the Bead for Life head quarters. This foundation is the most organized project I have ever seen. I would also recommend visiting the website if you would like to find out more. All the women there are amazing beatiful people. They allowed us to take pictures and watch them work on beads, bags and bowls. Those who did not understand us merely smiled or giggled when we tried to address them. The bracelets, necklaces and various other products these women made were remarkable and gorgeous. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the final products. These women who live in poverty unlike any I have every seen, build a life for themseleves and their family by creating beads out of shiny, old magazine pages!!!
As we travel the streets of Kampala in an old bus, I find my eyes to be glued open. travel on the streets is absolute chaos. I can not believe the traffic and the crazy driving. You will be driving and venders will come right up to your window and heckle you to buy some of their products. There are a ton of motor bikes racing around sliding right by our big bus. Also, it was really cool that everyone drove in the left hand lane and on the left side of their car.
I have to say, I did not know what to expect from the people, food and culture, but I am thouroughly happy. I do not feel intimiated, instead I am quiet the opposite; I have been talking to Frank and many of the people freely and jokingly. I already feel as if I have been In Africa for weeks! Tomorrow we are giong to be heading to Kamuli for the next stage of our trip....
Until then,
Lindsay Kingston

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

52 Kids Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template