Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Long Term Impacts

For two weeks in July and August of 2009 I spent my time in Kamuli with the 52 Kids Foundation. Up until that point I had my heart dead set on going to medical school to become a doctor. Going on the trip to Uganda, we were welcomed with incredibly open arms into the homes of every family we visited. We were showered with gratitude, affection and interest in our lives back in the United States. I was able to create friendships and relationships that I will always cherish and remember. After being home for about a month and a half my entire life perspective and plan for my future have changed. I crave the excitement of waking up each day in Kamuli, ready to see what experiences and people we would confront that day. Just seeing the smiles on each student's face as I give them a hug or play a game with them was enough to make me want to stay forever. Since my trip I have come to an amazing realization: the reason I wanted to study medicine was because I want to help people. After realizing this simple truth, I tried to connect my learning back to the 52 Kids Foundation. I realized that I don't need to sew up stitches and prescribe medications to make a difference in someone's life. The changes that The 52 Kids Foundation does to make a difference have to do with healthcare, sure. But they also go deeper than that. By changing the living situation, or improving the education of a child you are giving them hope for the future, you are giving them a basis for a more sustainable lifestyle where THEY can become the change that they want in their country! My trip to Uganda opened my eyes to a completely different approach to helping people. I realized that you have to start at the root of the problem, you have to address basic needs such as nutrition, a water source, a safe home, and an education before anything else. Since my trip I have started my college application process. When it asked me in the Common Application what my intended major was, I bypassed "pre-med" and went straight to "International Affairs". I believe with the knowledge that I took from my stay in Kamuli, I will be able to make a change in the world far greater than I ever expected. The 52 Kids Foundation allowed me to look at the world in a completely different way, and it has potentially changed my life and future forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

52 Kids Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template